To post an open position, please email [email protected]
Postdoctoral Research Associate in Entomology
University of Maine
To conduct research on insects of economic importance to the potato industry.
- Has the education associated with a Ph.D. degree in Entomology, Biology, Zoology, or related field by date of hire.
- Demonstrated ability to work with little direct supervision in an interdisciplinary research environment and ability to exercise initiative and good judgment.
- Demonstrated ability in technical writing and good oral communication skills.
- Good working knowledge of statistical analyses.
- Demonstrated computer literacy using word processors, spreadsheets, and statistical software.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment.
- Ability to travel, normally requiring a driver's license. Mileage is reimbursed at the current University rate.
Research Assistant II
Plant Soil and Microbial Sciences at MSU
This position provides technical support to the Potato Outreach Program (POP) for statewide and national potato research and outreach activities. Responsibilities include overseeing and carrying out in-state field trials; data collection, data analysis and field management of potato research including outreach activities as required. Field work includes oversight in the management of staff, field crops, preparation of trial methods and procedures, handling and preparation of potato seed and establishing plot plans for trials, collection and management of field trial data and collection of field samples, planting, harvesting, and grading potatoes, assisting in the management of operations at potato demonstration storages facilities including tuber sampling and caring out of storage research activities. Collection and analysis of program data using SAS and R. Overseeing program website, database, and presentation management, including generating tables and graphs. Strong communication skills: ability to convey research findings in an applied written manner, active listening to instructions and ability to brainstorm with team members is essential, ability to speak clearly and verbally share information with team members or with external stakeholders. Some research report and grant writing is required. This position is physically demanding and requires periods of overtime and in-state over the road travel exceeding 25K miles annually. Employees must be able to operate a vehicle with a gross combined vehicle weight rating under 26,001 pounds. Minimum number of overnights required annually.
Director of Exclusive (Potato) Varietal Program
· Lead a multifaceted team of breeding, crop management, grower liaison and agronomic experts
· Manage contracted third party growers, field trials, and the production of seed and table stock crops
· Oversee varietal development and breeding operations, and international sourcing of exclusive varieties
· Oversee budgets, financial analysis, and ensuring the responsible management of fiscal resources
· Operational analysis and management, including quality assurance and continual improvement programs
R.D. Offutt Farms & Syngenta
R.D. Offutt Farms and Syngenta, agriculture leaders, are partnering to create a unique opportunity for college students pursuing a career in agriculture. During this internship, you will have a hands-on learning experience working on real projects and real solutions. You will see the vertically integrated farm experience, from seed production all the way through processing the raw product, working with industry experts from R.D. Offutt Farms, Syngenta and university professors who support the potato industry.
Attention Soon to be GRADUATES!! This job is for you!
University of Idaho/College of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Performs research activities and analysis, recording observations and measurements, and reports results. Participates in analyzing and preparing results for publication. Works under general supervision.
Duties may include:
- Preparing standard solutions for calibration and analyses
- Interpreting test results and comparing with determined standards and limits
- Collecting laboratory or field data
- Conducting research and analysis of scientific data
- Participating in research design discussions
- Performing literature reviews
- Preparing reports
- Comparing data and historical records for trend verification
- Developing reference files, comparison charts, and graphs on research data
- Assisting with site inspections and field oversight
- Having little or no supervisory responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned