Frank L. Haynes Graduate Student Research Award Competition
A graduate student award fund honoring the late Dr. Frank L. Haynes, long time professor of Potato Breeding and Genetics at North Carolina State University was initiated by his wife, Dr. Kathy Haynes, USDA-ARS Potato Breeder at Beltsville, MD and family to the PAA Endowment and presented at the organization’s annual meeting held July 27, 2000 in Colorado, Springs, Colorado. The PAA has been making the Graduate student cash awards honoring outstanding student research presentations given during paper presentation sessions at the organization’s Annual Meeting. Each participating student is presented a certificate showing the name of the title of presentation when they receive their evaluation from the Chair of the Graduate Student Competition Committee.
Honorary Life Memberships
One of the most significant ways to recognize outstanding contributions to the potato industry and to our organization, The Potato Association of America, is the awarding of Honorary Life Membership (HLM). This is the highest award bestowed upon an individual by the PAA. Each year at the Annual Meeting of the PAA this award is given to deserving individuals and is considered by many attendees the highlight of the banquet.
Outstanding Extension Project Award
The Outstanding Extension Project Award was developed in 2009 to recognize outstanding Extension projects or programs, printed publications, websites, workshops, newsletters, etc., that have made significant contributions to education on potato.
- 2010 – 1st Award – 94th Annual Meeting, Fredericton, New Brunswick, NJ USA – Project Author: Alvin R Mosley.
Project Name: ‘PotatoNet‘
- 2011 – 2nd Award – 95th Annual Meeting, Wilmington, NC USA – Project Authors: Larry Binning, Alvin Bussan, Jed Colquhoun, Amanda Gevens, Russell Groves, Molly Jahn, Keith Kelling, Rick Klemme, Deana Knuteson, Ann MacGuidwin, Amanda Raster, Matt Ruark, John Shutske, Walt Stevenson, & Jeff Wyman.
Project Name: ‘The Wisconsin “Healthy Grown” Potato Program’
- 2012 – 3rd Award – 96th Annual Meeting, Denver, CO USA – Project Author: William H. Bohl.
Project Name: “Spudvine” Newsletter
- 2013 -4th Award – 97th Annual Meeting, PAA 100th Anniversary, Quebec City, Quebec Canada – Project Authors:
Nora L. Olsen, Tina L. Bandt, Jeffrey Stark & Richard Novy
Project Name: ‘Storage Management of New Potato Cultivars’
- 2014 – 5th Award – 98th Annual Meeting, Spokane, WA USA – Project Authors: Loretta Mikitzel, David Wattie, Suzanne Young
Project Name: “ToPPS: Total Potato Production Sites”
- 2015 – 6th Award – 99th Annual Meeting, Portland, ME USA – NO AWARD GIVEN OUT
Outstanding Paper Award.
Each year the Editorial Board of the American Journal of Potato Research conducts a formal routine of nominations and voting to select the highest quality research paper published in AJPR in the previous year (volume). The corresponding author receives the award at the Awards Banquet, and the paper itself is granted open-access status by the publisher.